Easy Home Remedies for a Cold
So, you’re stuck on your couch with a miserable cold that you can’t seem to shake. How can you find relief? The good news is, many people can overcome their cold symptoms and get back to feeling human again without visiting a doctor. Consider giving some of these easy home remedies a try if you’re battling a cold:
- Drink up – Staying hydrated is key to beating a cold. Skip the sugary drinks and stick with water. You can also try drinking warm tea or bone broth to soothe a scratchy throat and help loosen congestion.
- Gargle saltwater – This time-tested method can help relieve a sore throat. Just mix ¼ to ½ teaspoon of salt with 8 ounces of warm water and get to gargling!
- Use a humidifier – Adding moisture to the air in your home with a humidifier or mist vaporizer can help ease congestion and allow you to breathe easier.
- Rest – This may seem like a no-brainer, but many people try to push through a cold while going to work or school. Staying home and getting plenty of rest will play a key role in your recovery.
When to go to an urgent care center
While the common cold can usually be treated at home, a visit to a medical professional is sometimes necessary if symptoms persist or become severe. Be sure to stop by Fast Track Urgent Care for prompt and professional cold treatment if you have:
- A severe headache, sore throat, or sinus pressure
- A fever that lingers for longer than five days or is higher than 101.3 degrees Fahrenheit
- A wheezing cough
Fast Track Urgent Care accepts most major health insurances and is proud to serve Silver Spring and Kensington, Maryland.