While it’s true that many people want to lose weight before summer—after all, we typically wear fewer clothes in hot weather and for some, that’s an incentive—summertime can be a great time to lose weight. Here’s why.
Summer Weather Brings Everyone Out to the Yard
After winter’s chill, most of us are thrilled to be able to head out and enjoy the outdoors again! And for folks who get bored on the treadmill or elliptical, there are more fitness options than at any other time of the year. If you want to get moving this summer, try:
- Swimming – You don’t have to join a club to get access to a pool—Montgomery County has several aquatics centers with affordable entrance fees.
- Walking or running on park trails – Parks are made for walking! You can start strolling in your fave outdoor locale and gradually work up to running.
- Hiking – There are hiking trails all over Montgomery County, MD for hikers at every skill level!
Another reason summer weather can help with weight loss: abundant sunshine can increase serotonin levels, which help you feel good. When you feel good, you’re likely to be more open to new ideas and may be more motivated to do healthy things.
More Sunshine = More Fresh Fruits and Veggies!
Since so many delicious fruits and vegetables are in season and abundant in summer, it’s easier and less expensive to eat them fresh. Switch up your usual grocery shopping routine by picking up your weekly fruits and veggies at a farmers’ market.
These farmers’ markets in Montgomery County are open year-round (as of August 2015; please check each market’s website for hours and days of operation).
- Bethesda Central Farm Market
- Kensington Farmers Market
- Silver Spring Farmers Market
- Takoma Park Farmers Market
Summer Weight Loss Don’ts
- Don’t skip breakfast – Eating a good breakfast aids your metabolism.
- Don’t skip cardio – Yes, weight lifting is a reliable calorie burner, but cardio will help trim the fat from your body—and it’s good for your heart!
- Don’t get dehydrated or overheated – If you are exercising outside, drink plenty of water before, during, and after your activity. Good hydration starts way before your workout does! Learn how to avoid dehydration.
- Don’t try to lose weight fast – Losing weight slowly and gradually is much healthier and gives you a better chance of keeping it off.
Medical Help to Reach Your Summer Weight Loss Goals
Fast Track Urgent Care offers personalized weight loss programs. After a consultation with a Fast Track board-certified physician, you’ll get a weight loss plan designed just for you.
There are a number of reasons physician supervised weight loss programs are more successful than trying a weight-loss plan on your own. With a doctor-guided, personalized weight loss program, you will:
- Be dieting in a guaranteed safe way
- Have a physician to guide you and make helpful recommendations
- Feel more comfortable
- Be much more likely to reach your weight loss goals!
So make this your healthiest summer yet! Get outside, get moving, and for professional support, contact Fast Track Urgent Care today to learn more about our physician-supervised, personalized weight loss program at our Silver Spring location.