Do I Need to Get the Flu Vaccine?
If you haven’t gotten a flu shot this year, it’s time to visit Fast Track Urgent Care in Maryland! The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that anyone six months of age and older should get an annual flu vaccine as the best first defense against getting the seasonal flu.
While anyone can catch the flu, certain people are at a higher risk. Those include people who:
- Are pregnant
- Live with or care for infants six months old and younger
- Have a medical condition that increases chances of flu-related complications, including the following chronic conditions:
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Have a job that involves emergency, medical, or healthcare services
The flu can become a mild or severe illness and can sometimes result in hospitalization or even death. The best flu prevention strategy is to get the flu vaccination annually. Are you searching for “flu shots near me?” Stop by either of our offices to get an inexpensive flu shot without making an appointment!
10540 Connecticut Ave
Kensington, MD 20895
13428 New Hampshire Ave
Silver Spring, MD 20904
Don’t wait until it’s too late—get your annual flu shot at Fast Track Urgent Care now to stay healthy this flu season!
Fast Track Urgent Care’s Silver Spring and Kensington locations offer the flu vaccine for just $29 out of pocket. Plus, we now accept insurance for flu shots, so you can get the vaccine for even less than that. We offer quadrivalent flu vaccines, which means they protect against four strands of the flu.
In our efforts to provide the highest quality of medical care, we also offer the following services at our Silver Spring walk-in clinic:
- Preservative-free flu vaccinations
- High-dosage flu vaccinations (for patients older than 65 years old)
Contact Fast Track Urgent Care online or call us at 800-417-1164 to talk with one of our medical professionals about flu shots!
Do You Accept Insurance?
Fast Track Urgent Care accepts many insurance plans. If you don’t see your insurance plan listed here, feel free to contact Fast Track Urgent Care online or call us at 800-417-1164 with any questions.
Flu Vaccinations for Children & Adults in Silver Spring & Kensington
Many pediatricians’ offices only offer flu shots on limited days of the week—at limited times. With Fast Track’s evening and weekend hours, your kids won’t have to miss school and you won’t have to miss work to get their flu shots! Do you have some additional questions about the flu shot process? Here are some frequently asked questions about our flu vaccines:
- How long does it take the vaccine to work? It takes about two weeks to build up immunity to the flu after you get vaccinated. That’s why you should get your flu shot as soon as possible!
- Does the flu shot give you the flu? The flu vaccine does not give you the flu. The influenza viruses contained in the vaccine are inactive and cannot cause infection.
- Why do some people feel ill after getting the flu shot? Some people do report having mild reactions to the flu vaccine, like aches or a low-grade fever. These reactions are short-lived, usually only lasting 1-2 days, and are NOT the flu. However, not everyone who gets the flu vaccine will experience these reactions.
The symptoms and possible effects of having the seasonal flu are far worse than the possible mild, short-lived side effects of the flu vaccine! Visit Fast Track Urgent Care in Silver Spring or Kensington, MD today to get your annual flu shot and stay healthy this flu season!
Additional Ways to Avoid Getting the Flu
Besides getting the flu shot, what else can you do to protect yourself?
- Wash your hands often, especially during the winter (flu season).
- Keep your hands away from your eyes, nose, and mouth as much as possible. Viruses frequently enter your body through these areas.
- Keep hand sanitizer with you and use it often.
- Avoid contact with people who have the flu.
For more suggestions about how to avoid getting the flu, read this blog post about flu prevention tips!
Who Should NOT Get the Flu Shot?
Although the flu vaccine is recommended for the majority of people, there are some who should not get the flu shot. You shouldn’t get the influenza vaccine if you:
- Have a fever
- Are allergic to chicken eggs
- Have had an allergic reaction to flu shots in the past
- Are younger than six months old
If you want to know more about influenza or about flu protection in general, call Fast Track Urgent Care today at 800-417-1164 or contact us online now!
Flu Shots in Montgomery County
Are you ready to get the flu shot without having to wait in a long line? Visit one of our Maryland walk-in flu shot clinics today! If you don’t see your insurance provider listed, feel free to call Fast Track Urgent Care today at 800-417-1164 or contact us online—we’re happy to answer any questions you may have.
Urgent Care Service Area
In addition to our walk-in clinics in Silver Spring and Kensington, we also provide urgent care services for people who live and work in the following Maryland areas: Adelphi, Ashton, Aspen Hill, Beltsville, Bethesda, Brookeville, Burtonsville, Cabin John, Calverton , Chevy Chase, Cloverly, Colesville, College Park, Gaithersburg, Garrett Park, Germantown, Glen Echo, Glenmont, Hillandale, Hyattsville, Kemp Mill, Kensington, Langley Park, Laurel, Layhill, Norbeck, North Bethesda, North Potomac, Norwood, Olney, Potomac, Rockville, Sandy Spring, Scaggsville, Silver Spring, Spencerville, Takoma Park, and Wheaton. We also provide urgent care services in the Washington, DC area.