‘Tis the season to spread joy, not the flu virus! Odds are, you’re preparing to host or attend at least one Friendsgiving, office Christmas party, Hannukah dinner, gift exchange, or another holiday gathering in the next few months. Unfortunately, the holidays coincide with flu season, which leaves up to 20% of Americans sick every year according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
There’s no way to completely eliminate your risk of catching the flu, but keeping these easy tips in mind can help you stay healthy through whatever holiday gatherings are on your agenda this year:
- Get your annual flu shot—it’s simple.
- If you’re feeling under the weather, stay at home and watch a good holiday movie instead.
- Stress can weaken your immune system and increase your chances of getting sick. To avoid undue holiday stress, be sure to plan gatherings well in advance, take time off from work or other obligations (if possible), and set aside some relaxation time for yourself.
- Wash your hands thoroughly before and after greeting family members and friends at a gathering.
- Avoid touching your mouth, eyes, or nose unnecessarily.
- Take a break from pumpkin pie and Christmas cookies to eat nutrient-rich vegetables and fruits.
- Prioritize sleep—go to bed earlier and sleep in whenever possible.
Flu Shots, Testing, Treatment & More at Fast Track Urgent Care
Fast Track Urgent Care can’t stop your uncle from discussing politics at the dinner table, but we can help ensure you’re able to tackle the holiday season in good health. Visit us in Silver Spring or Kensington, Maryland, to receive your flu shot today! If you’re already feeling sick, our practitioners can also provide timely flu testing and treatment. Happy Holidays!