Flu season isn’t over yet. In the past, we’ve written about flu prevention and ways to protect yourself from the flu. If you haven’t gotten your flu shot yet this year, it’s not too late! Even if you’ve already had the flu this season, you should still consider a flu vaccination. Stop by our walk-in clinic for the flu mist or flu shot in MD today.
Unfortunately, the flu shot is not 100 percent preventative. If you’ve contracted the flu, here are some of our tips on how to beat the flu:
Visit the Doctor at the First Sign of Flu Symptoms
If you’ve got a fever and body aches, or other flu-like symptoms, don’t wait it out. Visiting your doctor at the first sign of flu symptoms can allow you to get the necessary flu medication early—ultimately shortening your flu duration. Some symptoms to look for include:
- Extreme fatigue
- Sore throat
- Body aches
- Nasal congestion
Home Remedies for the Flu
Once you’ve visited your doctor, there are also some steps at home you can take to further remedy your flu symptoms and speed up your recovery:
- Get enough sleep – When your immune system is fighting an illness like the flu, it can be taxing on your body. Your body’s systems work best when you’re well rested.
- Push fluids – In particular, hot liquids can help clear up your respiratory system when you have the flu. However, avoid caffeine, because it actually dehydrates you.
- Add honey – Honey can help soothe sore throat symptoms that often accompany the flu.
- Steam treat – Taking warm showers is a great decongestant when you have the flu as the steam can help open up your nasal passages.
- Eat healthy – In addition to eating healthy, vitamin-rich foods, some foods, such as mushrooms, garlic, and ginger are known to give your immune system a boost.
- Consider nasal irrigation – If you’re congested, try nasal irrigation with a saline spray. Blowing your nose helps to remove the flu virus from your body, and nasal irrigation can speed up this process.
- Use a humidifier – Adding moisture to the air, particularly when you sleep, can help decrease your congestion symptoms when you have the flu. This will allow you to get a better night’s rest and shorten your flu duration.
- Watch Hugh Grant movies – There is no scientific proof of Hugh Grant’s flu healing abilities, but we think if you are miserable with the flu, you might as well have Hugh Grant to keep you company.
If I Already had the Flu, Should I Still Get Vaccinated?
When your flu symptoms have cleared completely, and if you haven’t already had your annual vaccination, stop by our clinic for your flu shot in MD. There are multiple strains of the flu, so it’s possible that you could get the flu again. Don’t risk it! Contact us today for more information on the flu shot.