Asthma Testing & Treatment in Silver Spring & Kensington
Do you suspect you or a family member has asthma? More than 25 million Americans are diagnosed with this condition, seven million of whom are children. Asthma is a chronic lung disease that narrows and inflames your airway, causing breathing difficulties. People of any age can contract asthma, but it most often starts in childhood.
If you require asthma diagnosis and treatment for you or your child, call Fast Track Urgent Care or stop by our Silver Spring or Kensington walk-in clinics. We’re open seven days a week and gladly accept walk-ins for asthma testing and treatment. Instead of searching for “asthma testing and treatment near me,” give us a call at 800-417-1164 or contact us online now!
Signs You May Have Asthma
Many situations can trigger asthma symptoms, from exposure to allergens and irritants to vigorous physical activity and upper respiratory infections. Asthma is different for everyone, but watch for these signs:
- Coughing, which may worsen at night or in the early morning
- Wheezing when you breathe
- Chest tightness, as though someone is sitting on your chest
- Shortness of breath
- Feeling as though air is trapped in your lungs
Be aware that not all people with asthma have these symptoms. Likewise, you may experience some of these symptoms and have a different respiratory condition. That’s why it’s important to visit Fast Track Urgent Care for an accurate diagnosis before you begin treatment. We offer professional and fast asthma testing and treatment plans from our Silver Spring and Kensington locations.
How Fast Track Urgent Care Tests for Asthma
To determine whether you have asthma, your Fast Track doctor will likely take three main steps: ask about your family and medical health history, perform a physical exam, and run a lung function test.
- First, we’ll find out if asthma and allergies run in your family. We’ll ask what symptoms you’re experiencing and whether they bother you more in certain places, seasons or times of day. We’ll also try to figure out what might be triggering your symptoms.
- Next, we perform a physical exam, which includes listening to you breathe with a stethoscope and looking for other signs of asthma, such as swollen nasal passages and allergic skin reactions.
- Most importantly, we run a lung function test called spirometry. A machine measures how quickly you can breathe air in and out of your lungs. You may receive medicine and then be tested again to see if your lung function improves. If it does, you will likely be diagnosed with asthma.
How to Treat Asthma
You may be diagnosed with mild, moderate or severe asthma, none of which can be fully cured. The degree of severity determines what initial treatment you need, though be aware that the severity and type of symptoms you experience may change over time. You have two primary options: long-term and quick-relief medication.
- Long-term control medicines are taken daily to reduce airway inflammation and stop symptoms before they start. Medicine may be administered orally or through an inhaler, nebulizer or injection.
- Quick-relief inhalers are taken as needed to relieve symptoms when they flare up. You should carry your quick-relief inhaler at all times in case an unexpected flare-up occurs.
In addition to taking medication, you should work closely with your doctor to further manage your asthma so it doesn’t control your life.
Come to Fast Track Urgent Care for Asthma Diagnosis & Treatment in Silver Spring & Kensington
When you have urgent care needs, you want high-quality, compassionate medical care in an innovative clinic. We offer these benefits at Fast Track Urgent Care. With convenient locations in Silver Spring and Kensington, we’re able to serve all of Montgomery County, MD. Let our experienced staff diagnose your breathing problems and begin treatment for asthma if necessary.
Stop by today without an appointment, or you can call Fast Track Urgent Care at 800-417-1164 or contact us online to learn more.
Our Urgent Care Service Area
In addition to our walk-in urgent care clinics in Silver Spring and Kensington, we also provide urgent care services for people who live and work in the following Maryland areas: Adelphi, Ashton, Aspen Hill, Beltsville, Bethesda, Brookeville, Burtonsville, Cabin John, Calverton , Chevy Chase, Cloverly, Colesville, College Park, Gaithersburg, Garrett Park, Germantown, Glen Echo, Glenmont, Hillandale, Hyattsville, Kemp Mill, Kensington, Langley Park, Laurel, Layhill, Norbeck, North Bethesda, North Potomac, Norwood, Olney, Potomac, Rockville, Sandy Spring, Scaggsville, Silver Spring, Spencerville, Takoma Park, and Wheaton. We also provide urgent care services in the Washington, DC area.