Sports Physicals in Silver Spring, Maryland
Does your cheerleader or volleyball captain need a school sports physical in Silver Spring? Get one without an appointment at Fast Track Urgent Care. Both of our Silver Spring clinic locations have convenient evening and weekend hours to accommodate your family’s busy schedule.
Before joining a new sport and before the start of any competitive season, children and young adults are required to get a sports physical that clears them for athletic participation. At Fast Track Urgent Care, you can get a thorough physical before starting a new athletic activity.
Why Is a Sports Physical so Important?
There are a number of reasons why getting a sports physical is so important—and why they are often required by the state.
- To determine the athletes’ general health and any potential safety issues – Getting a sports physical in Silver Spring, MD ensures that it is safe for the athlete to participate in a sport or other physical activity. The physical will include reviewing the family’s medical history, the athlete’s physical health (including previous hospitalizations or illnesses which could affect his or her ability to safely play a sport), and whether or not there are current health problems that could interfere with the athlete’s participation in a sport.
- To discover any pre-existing conditions – During the sports physical, the doctors at Fast Track Urgent Care will also be able to address pre-existing conditions—such as asthma, sprains, etc.—as well as uncover any problems before they’re discovered (and potentially made worse) during the sport. When pre-existing conditions are discovered or brought up in the examination, the doctor can prescribe medication, or an improved medication, particularly for asthma.
- To provide personalized training tips – In addition to clearing the athlete for physical activity and sports, your doctor can also provide training tips to reduce the likelihood of injury during sports. He or she can also help by giving advice about the best (and safest) sporting equipment to improve performance—such as high quality running shoes.
What Happens During a Sports Physical?
When you get a sports physical in order to play sports at a Montgomery County school in Silver Spring, your doctor will do the following:
- Review your medical history
- Perform a physical examination
- Record your height and weight
- Take your blood pressure and pulse
- Test your vision
- Check your heart, lungs, abdomen, ears, nose, and throat
- Test your joints, strength, and flexibility
- Ask about any use of drugs, alcohol, or dietary supplements
Following the examination, the doctor will either sign the form allowing participation in sports or request a follow-up exam, additional testing, or specific treatment for a medical problem.
Fast Track Urgent Care provides sports physicals for Silver Spring middle school sports, high school sports, and Silver Spring and Montgomery County youth sports programs.
Getting a Sports Physical in Silver Spring, Maryland
Get a sports physical in Silver Spring at Fast Track Urgent Care. Stop in or contact us for more information.
Learn more about Montgomery County youth sports programs in the Silver Spring area!